Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Summer of Pixar Look 19: Coco- Mama Imelda

The second I saw Hector walk on the screen, I turned to my boyfriend next to me and said "that's his grandpa" and he was like "no the other guy is his grandpa" and I was like "you absolute fool, do you know nothing about screen writing?" and anyway I was right and now I'm single.

Coco is, without a doubt, one of the greatest Pixar movies of all time, and coincidentally Pixar's only musical to date. But is that a coincidence? Or do people just like musicals and maybe, just MAYBE Pixar is FINALLY catching on to what audiences want. This film is so important in so many ways. It's the first full length Pixar film to star a person of color. Which is actually ridiculous if you consider how many Pixar films came before it, but we can't complain when people learn from their mistakes. This film really opened my eyes to Mexican culture in a way I never experienced before. At risk of sounding entirely racist, I never liked things that revolved around Dia de los Muertos. I didn't like the look of the skeletons- it felt overall too spooky for me. But I was just another ignorant white person who waited for a cartoon movie to change my mind. Leaving the theater, I was completely in tears and reveling in the deep rooted history that the Mexican culture had to offer. How beautiful it is that family is so important regardless of whether they're living or dead. This film is phenomenally moving, and although it's a lot more fun when I have things to complain about, I really have nothing negative to say.



The character I most identified with in this film was, without a doubt, Mama Imelda. If anyone can hold a grudge for hundreds of years beyond the grave, it's me. So I knew that she would be the only choice for this Coco inspired Disneybound. For this look, I didn't want to simply wear a dress similar to the one that she wore in the film, I also wanted to show how much i related to the character by truly exemplifying how dead inside I am, so I started this outfit with a skeleton top. I added a purple ruffled skirt over this to represent Mama Imelda's dress. Instead of Mama Imelda's apron, I added a brown faux leather belt to exemplify the fact that I actually have zero organs in my body. For shoes I went with a simple black bootie, and I accessorized with black and purple chokers. This entire outfit can be found on my Amazon Storefront. To give a nod to the Mexican culture, I added a purple floral headband as I oftentimes see similar headbands used in traditional celebrations like Dia de los Muertos. Overall, this was close to the top of my list of Disneybounds that I've done over the course of my Summer of Pixar challenge, and one that I felt the most inspired to do. In fact, this was one of the first bounds I did and I've just been waiting to share it with everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment