Sunday, October 21, 2018

Haus of Villains Style Challenge Look 4: Ursula

Don't underestimate the importance of body language...

Name a more iconic villain than Ursula. Go ahead. I'll wait. Ursula is the very first Disney villain to sing her own song (notice I said to sing her own song. I know Cruella has a song written about her. Don't attack me), and rightfully so. She has so much personality and she's really the fist primary female villain that we see have her own character rather than just being evil for the sake of being evil with zero plot or redeeming qualities. Of course this has to do with the time period that The Little Mermaid was made as well. Ariel was the first Disney princess to truly find her voice (pun intended), and therefor Ursula had to be just as exemplary. The Little Mermaid was the beginning of what was known as the "Disney Renaissance" where Disney really began to make a comeback with their movies, and this is a direct result of how bold their character choices were. Gone are the days of evil for the sake of evil and kindness for the sake of kindness and may they never return.

This was not my first crack at an Ursula Disneybound. The first time I attempted a look by this iconic character was way back in 2016 with my Fall Dapper Day look, so for this outfit I wanted to do something completely different to show that there are so many ways to interpret a character. I, of course, kept with the same color scheme of purple, black, and white, but this time I opted for a more day time look, and something slightly more understated.

For the base of this look I went with my black peasant top from Pinup Girl Clothing and a light purple skirt from Hell Bunny, which I got at Sidecca. I really loved the way this top gave the bare chest look that Ursula is known for, while the flow of the skirt gave a nod to Ursula's tentacles. For shoes, I stuck with my classic TUK starlet heels in lilac. This time for my hair, rather than wearing a white wig (adorned by my beautiful custom fascinator from Enchanted Candy Carousel), I went with a more wearable look while still representing Ursula's white hair by adding a white hair scarf to my up-do. More than any other look so far, I was very happy with my accessories for Ursula. I absolutely had to wear my gorgeous shell necklace my wonderful friend April gifted me (find more amazing accessories on her Etsy store here). I also decided to give a little nod to the original inspiration for Ursula, queen of queens Divine, by wearing my Hanky Code "Drag Queen" pin from my friends at Prick Pins. This tiny accessory felt like the absolute perfect way to whisper "I know so much more about Disney than you" without being obnoxious about it- and the color matched perfectly with the bound no less, Almost like T-Ray designed this pin specifically for this bound.


No comments:

Post a Comment