Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Haus of Villains Style Challenge Look 1: Evil Queen

You all asked for it so here it is! An official style challenge for the short remainder of the month of October. I don't plan to do every single Disney villain as that would be a monstrous task that I am just not up for. Plus, I have to leave some of them for next year, right?

In all honesty, this style challenge started completely by accident. I was on my way to Disneyland with nothing to wear, so I looked in my car and tried to see what I could pull together and low and behold- it was an Evil Queen Disneybound. It was a definitely a sign from the gods that the Haus of Villains series was an absolute necessity and would be my gift to the world for this Halloween season.

Something I love about the film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is that it wastes zero time with exposition. You get a 30 second book scene in the very beginning that establishes our villain and our hero immediately, cut directly to the Queen demanding Snow White's death upon seeing the Prince proposition her, and that's really all you need to know about these characters, and honestly- all you will know. So far we haven't gotten any type of canon backstory for the Evil Queen or her motivations. We know that shes' fueled by jealousy for her step daughter- but why? In the film it isn't even established that Snow is her step daughter, it just says she's the Queen and Snow White is the princess, so we can only assume they're blood related. However, if you ever meet the Queen in a Disney park, she refers to Snow as her step daughter, which really I can only assume was an after thought when Disney realized that it's a little too morbid to have a mother try to murder her own actual biological daughter because she's upset that she's no longer the most beautiful person in the world. But we've all been there right?

Regardless of whether or not the Evil Queen is the fairest of them all, she's still an absolute hottie. She has the ability to be completely covered from head to toe with the exception of her face and still be drop dead gorgeous, which is something Snow White does not have going for her. Also, the Queen must be a science wiz because she has all sorts or equipment in the basement of her castle- she has Bunsen burners and beakers and she can make potions to make herself ugly and to poison apples so she definitely got the smarts in the family. Meanwhile Snow White is getting nearly murdered, basically exiled from her kingdom for fear of her life, and chased by anthropomorphic trees and she APOLOGIZES- so she has next to no brains let's be honest. She's a great baker, she's got a beautiful voice, but she is for sure not the shiniest diamond in the mine if you know what I mean.

For this Disneybound I started with an eggplant jersey dress which reminded me of the Evil Queen with its color, length, and classic cut. To represent her cape I used a modern faux leather jacket. One of my favorite pieces of this outfit was the true vintage belt, The outfit screamed for a belt and this one in particular reminded me so much of the Queen's magic mirror. I decided to accessorize the outfit with apples, using both a poison apple brooch and am apple purse. I have always disagreed with using an apple as Snow White's symbol because it's literally what's used to try and kill her? So I just don't understand? For my hair I went with a classic bouffant to represent the Queen's cowl, and I added a zig-zag gold headband for the crown to top off the look.

ADDITIONAL AUTHOR'S NOTE: The quote goes "Magic mirror on the wall" not "mirror mirror on the wall" so please just stop. I've seen them use the incorrect quote on actual Disney merchandise sold in the parks and it's beginning to drive me absolutely bananas. If I see or hear anyone misquoting this, I will personally come and cut up your annual pass. You have been warned.



No comments:

Post a Comment