Monday, June 25, 2018

Summer of Pixar Look 2: A Bug's Life- Gypsy

Disneybounding as Atta at
Animal Kingdom in Florida, September 2017
Top and Capris from Pinup Girl Clothing
Ears from BowsandBounds on Istagram







Truth be told- I have not seen A Bug's Life in a long while. So when I decided to do this Summer of Pixar, I knew I would have to review. There were so many character options when it came to A Bug's Life, and having already Disneybounded as Atta at Animal Kingdom last year, I knew I wanted to go for something a little more obscure. 













All Gyspy photos are by my lovely friend Nicole,
@nicwise on Instagram 













Upon re-watching the movie, I knew the only choice was Gypsy- Manny's wife and lovely assistant (and also the most classically feminine character in the film- a common motif you will see in my character choices). Gypsy is a showgirl, a magician's assistant, so for this bound I pulled inspiration from one of my favorite art forms- burlesque. I was inspired by the glamorous dressing gowns burlesque dancers are often portrayed in, and decided incorporate that idea into a wearable, daytime look. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: Gypsy Moth. For this look I used a tan suede romper as the base to mimic Gypsy's body- it even had a turtleneck collar much like Gypsy has (as much as I wanted to incorporate a fur collar into this look, I just could not imagine wearing one in the California summer sun). I paired this with a multi-colored kimono to represent Gypsy's gorgeous wings, but again, as a nod to the beautiful burlesque dressing gowns I mentioned earlier.
Although it isn't traditionally a part of Gypsy's look, I decided to add a purple belt to tie in the look (and to show off my 25" waist- if you got it, flaunt it!)
 To represent Gypsy's antenna, I created this adorable headband with puffballs on it, inspired by Miss Tosh, one of my favorite burlesque dancers. 
 I also added this bright green glittery bangle as a nod to Gypsy's husband and partner in the film, Manny
And of course, the coup d'etat of the look- the purple boots. I knew that a boot was completely necessary for this look because even as a bug, Gypsy is animated to have a heel- and if Pixar went so far as to animate a moth with a heel, who am I to ignore that detail?

No comments:

Post a Comment