Friday, June 22, 2018

Summer of Pixar Look 1: Toy Story- Bo Peep



I am so excited to be portraying a look inspired by one of the most classically feminine characters in the Pixar universe. This is actually my third time attempting a Bo Peep look, the first time being a cosplay in 2014 (where I had to hand paint the polka dots on one by one- the most tedious task of my life), and then a Disneybound in 2016 for the Pinup Parade hosted by Pinup Girl Clothing. This look is by far my favorite.


Before Bo Peep came to be, Pixar was turned down by Mattel for use of Barbie as Mattel was fearful that the film would be a flop, and didn’t want their number one girl to be associated with it- an obvious mistake on their part, which was corrected with Barbie's inclusion in both Toy Story 2 and 3. Thus, Bo Peep was born, to fill the role of the classically feminine protagonist in the film, and of course, to be Woody’s love interest. Because of this, I felt it was also right for me to draw inspiration from the iconic 50's fashion doll. For this look, I used a vintage pattern to create the over skirt (and by I, I mean I sat and ate McDonald’s while the lovely and talented Lisa Fabio of LittlePennyLane on Etsy and my real life Fairy Godmother, did all the heavy lifting), and layered it over this gorgeous Pinup Girl Clothing Jayne dress. The color on this dress, by the way, is the yummiest shade of pink. The layering of the overskirt on the pencil dress gives the same shape and style as Bo's original costume, but in a far more wearable way while still maintaining a high-fashion look. For Bo's bonnet, I again drew inspiration from the 50's and created a tied sun hat using the same fabric as the skirt. I find that a key element of the era was having complete “outfits” where everything matched perfectly, rather than throwing components together, which is why I chose these turquoise kitten heels. I drew inspiration from the original Barbie doll for my makeup (you know the one- with the black and white striped bathing suit). The true vintage sheep broach was the crowning piece for this look, although this sheep only has one head. 





No comments:

Post a Comment